Tuesday, September 8, 2009

It's your turn

Throughout my working life, I always did what I needed to do to make money and participate in the great rat race. Most of us do. While I always enjoyed the people I worked with and I genuinely cared about the company I worked so hard for, I knew that I didn’t want to work for someone my entire life and in an industry I’d only stepped foot in by chance. Or was it chance? But that’s a different conversation. Not many of us get the chance to truly do something we love to do as our profession. But every once in a while, I get to see or hear about this sparkling person, the person that ups and leaves and pursues their dream. I describe them as sparkling because when I meet or hear of them, they are so happy about what they are doing, or going to do, that they just sparkle. I can see this sparkle when they talk and in their beloved work. I was always so envious of these Sparklers and wished that I could do the same. But I was always so comfortable and fearful of…change maybe? Or going broke. Or maybe it was failing in my attempt to follow my dream. Most likely a combination of all these. So I was stuck. Watching the Sparklers sparkle while I did my daily rounds. Does this sound familiar? If it does and you’re fine with it, then fine. But if you’re not fine with it, why not do something about it. Open your eyes wide and just leap. Easier said than done, I know. Hell, why hadn’t I leaped and opened my spa business? I’ve only been talking about it for over a decade. My answer to that is that I ignored those precious windows of opportunity and I was too cozy in my spot in life for leaping. Windows of opportunity open all the time for us. Opens for us to up and leave and realize that dream, to do something good for others and to allow change to come into our lives. We then decide if we want to jump through or not. For me, I’ve been sitting for quite some time, but this year I was inspired by so many people…friends, teachers, card makers, bloggers, cake makers, gurus of all kinds and most importantly, my daughter and husband. I’ve been inspired, I’m ready for change and I no longer wanted to sit…so I leaped. I decided to leave my daughter in the care of someone else (one of the hardest things I’ve ever done) and got a job in the spa industry. I’m ready to realize my dream and immerse myself in the work. And I’m giddy every time I think about it because I can’t believe I finally leaped…all thanks to those that inspired me. Funny thing is, by me taking a leap and following my dream, I have inspired a friend to do the same. He’s going to be leaving a job a million folks would kill for to pursue his own dream. I wonder what person he’ll be inspiring.

Thanks a million to my husband, daughter, Gloria, Lydia and Jennifer for helping me become a Sparkler. Love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment